Evaluating Living Facilities
The process of finding the right care community for your loved one can be overwhelming. You want a place that goes beyond the basic care needs to support your loved one and make them feel happy and at home.
While touring senior living facilities, you want to absorb as much information as possible so you’re prepared to make an informed decision. Here are some key questions to help you evaluate senior living facilities:
- How many staff members care for each resident?
- What type of training does your care staff complete?
- Are staff trained to care for residents with memory loss or Alzheimer’s?
- Are staff onsite 24/7?
- Can staff administer medications?
- Do you have nurses on staff?
- Do you have an in-house physician?
- What type of security and safety measures do you have in place?
- Do you have experience with Alzheimer’s? Parkinson’s? Diabetes? (or the specific diagnosis of your loved one)
- Do you complete an assessment prior to moving in?
- What types of apartments are available?
- What is the monthly cost per apartment? What are the differences in price?
- What is your waitlist policy?
- Can I meet another family with a loved one in the community?
- Are pets allowed?
- Does the community offer all the amenities you’re looking for (concierge services, a gym, pool, theater, spa, etc.)?
- Do residents seem to be engaged in social events and taking advantage of community amenities?
- How does the food taste?
- How often are the menus changed?
- Do you have transportation for doctor’s appointments?
- Do you have an activities calendar?
- What additional services are available if the care or personal needs change while living here?
- What is your billing policy?
- Are there additional fees for services or activities?
- Do you offer hospice and end of life care?
This is an important decision, so ask questions of the staff until you feel satisfied that you understand all the options, policies, and benefits of the senior living facilities that meet your criteria. Knowing the answers will make you feel confident in your final selection.