Learn Six Reasons Why A Senior Living Community Can Help You Be Healthier and Happier
Staying socially connected and feeling engaged with life is crucial as we age, not only for mental health but also for overall well-being. As people grow older, the risk of isolation increases significantly. Studies show that over 40% of seniors experience loneliness on a regular basis, which can lead to severe loneliness and depression (Senior Health Study, 2023).
Living in a community with peers is beneficial at any age, but for older adults, it’s particularly impactful. Here are six reasons, backed by research, why a senior living community can make you happier and healthier:
- Support: One of the major benefits of senior living communities is assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs). Personal care services such as bathing and dressing ease the burden of performing those tasks. These tasks may become increasingly difficult as we age. Having a nurse available provides many benefits. They can assist in managing medications and monitor changes in your health. With less time and energy spent on self-care, residents can pursue other activities and hobbies and spend more time with friends and family.
- Life Enrichment Programs: Senior living communities offer residents a full calendar of life-enriching activities. Associates provide a variety of experiences to accommodate a resident’s needs. Opportunities are designed to be enjoyed year-round. From clubs to art programs, music, and excursions, a resident can choose what to participate in and when. For those with mobility challenges, the opportunity to enjoy activities onsite helps them stay connected.
- Convenience: A senior living environment provides residents with a simplified lifestyle and freedom from home maintenance. When looking at possible options, ask if the community offers any of the following:
- Laundry and Housekeeping Services
- Transportation Services and Shopping Shuttles
- Calendar of Events
- Variety of Dining Options
- Excursions or Day Trips
- Salon Services
- Spaces for Hosting Private Events
- Peer-to-Peer Support: Healthy relationships with people who understand age-related changes help build strong interpersonal connections. Having someone nearby who can identify, empathize and even laugh at shared struggles helps older adults stay positive.
- Well-balanced Meals: Good nutrition is central to a healthy lifestyle. But seniors are at increased risk for poor nutrition from lack of transportation to the grocery store or health conditions that make meal preparation difficult. In a community senior living environment, meal time becomes a nourishing and social experience. Meals are often served in restaurant-style dining rooms. This helps foster relationships among residents.
- Planned Fitness Programs: Fitness is essential to the wellness programs offered in senior living communities. Residents can enjoy gyms and pools, along with fitness programs incorporating a variety of exercises ranging from strength training to Chair Yoga and Tai Chi.
More and more seniors around the country are realizing the benefits of senior living communities. Whether they’re just tired of all the home upkeep or want to find more companionship, these communities provide a great option. You and your loved ones will feel more comfortable knowing that your health needs are in great hands.
Assisted Living Locators is a free placement and referral service with a nationwide network of local senior care advisors that provides the best information and resources available. We are your partner in finding the right senior living option.